Pages

Thursday 24 September 2015

Fractions and Problem Solving

We have been learning all about fractions and what a fraction is. We decided that a fraction is fair. It needs to be the same shape, same size or the same number. 
We have also been doing loads of thinking and problem solving in our maths. We think problem solving is hard but we are very proud of our learning!

WALT: find the fractions of sets and shapes.
Success Criteria
  • I can use what I know to solve problems
  • I can use a picture to show my thinking
  • I can use materials to show my thinking
  • My shares are fair (the same shape, same size or the same number)

How I am going

I can use what I know to solve problems
Kerri thinks



I can use a picture to show my thinking
Kerri thinks



I can use materials to show my thinking
Kerri thinks



My shares are fair (the same shape, same size or the same number)
Kerri thinks



Reflection

My favourite part was: we kept doing problems and practising and it got easier and easier each day.

It was really hard when: to work out what one quarter was.

Something that really helped me was: my teacher and practising lots and using the jelly beans.

Something new I learned was: that 1/4 is 1 piece when there are 4 pieces altogether. Fractions are fair shares, they are the same shape, same size or the same number.

Kerri Thinks
You have a clear understanding of 'half and not half' and have used this understanding to help you with other fractions. You share your ideas in the group and can use materials to show your thinking. 
Remember when problem solving, slow down and think about what the question is asking and then think about what you already know. Lots of thinking and drawing pictures can help you solve tricky problems. Your next learning step is to have a go, take a risk - it doesn't matter if you are not always right. That can be how you do some great learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment